Saturday, May 14, 2011

Short Lived

I was right, Claudius, after only 4 years with me as heir he is dead. Many say that is many different people, one of those suspected people is my mother, I fear it to be all too true. Since I was not of age, my mother took over the throne. After a while, I got sick of this and took her out of the equation and put her in a separate house. Just a little while ago, I was crowned emperor. I still know that there is not good blood between me and my brother, Claudius' child, so just yesterday I decided to permanently take him out of the equation. That same day, during my dinner party, I poisoned my brother. Mother is not happy because of this. I will keep everyone informed.

Ferrero, Guglielmo. Characters and Events of Roman History. New York: Chautauqua Press, 1903.

This book gives a very accurate description and detailed description of the end of his life and why he ended his life. (p. 131-135)

2 comments:

  1. NERO! How could you?! Take me out of the palace like this! I WAS THE ONE WHO MADE YOU EMPEROR OF ROME! This is dispicable!

    Howe, Helen and Robert T., Ancient and Medieval Worlds, White Plains, NY: Longman Publishing, 1992.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nero, how can you do this to your own family? You have become so despicable! I remember when you were younger... ah, the festivals you held, the music you played, how generous you were! But then you began to change. I recently heard a quote from The Twelve Caesars by Suetonius. It said,

    "No one was allowed to leave the theatre during his (Nero's) recitals, however pressing the reason...Nero's stage fright an general nervousness when he took part in the competitions, his jealousy of rivals, and his awe of the judges, can scarecely be believed. Though usually gracious and charming to other competitors, whom he treated as equals, he abused them behind their backs, and sometimes insulted them to their faces; and if any were particularly good singers, he would bribe them not to do themselves justice."

    Nero, please turn from your wicked ways before it is too late!

    Tranquillus, Suetonius Gaius. Translator: Robert Graves. The Twelve Caesars. New York: Penguin Books, 1989.

    ReplyDelete